Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Walkies

After I calmed down a bit after stressing about my buddy, I was able to think about my day and relax a bit.  I had a good day at work despite being terribly sore from yesterday.  I had a meeting, got a lot done, and got my coworkers stuff done that I am back up for and helped get some of the new stuff I'm learning caught up.  I get to play back up for another coworker tomorrow too.  I had a wonderful lunch in the park with my husband and sister.  I thought it might rain on us all morning, but it was actually quite nice, if overcast.  I would really like to do that again some time actually.

After dinner, I decided to take Lilly for a much needed walk.  Her walks have been neglected of late because Chewy can't go for walks anymore, she's a pain to walk, and I've been lazy.  I have been watching this great show on Animal Planet called It's Me or the Dog and have some new ideas on how to work with Lilly to get her to walk well on a leash.  It required lots of starts and stops and lots of turning around and back again.  Overall it was dizzying, but she sort of started to get it in the end and walked a little less erratic and with the leash a little more slack.  I also got her to not bark at some people sitting on their porch after much turning around and back again.  They thought it was pretty funny.  However, once some kids came by on bikes, it was all over.  Lilly flipped out.  I don't know how to teach her to not be afraid of kids on bikes or scooters.  It's kind of funny to watch though, she'll let them pet her all they want but she continues to bark her little head off while they do it.

We only got three houses away to the east and back and then two houses away to the west and back, but I spent about an hour working with her.  Hopefully I can keep it up and work with her nightly until she gets it.  Chewy walks so well on a leash, he leaves it slack for the most part, stays on one side of you and walks in a straight line.  Miss Lilly is the exact opposite.  I can tell ya though, Victoria (the trainer on the show) makes it look so much easier than it is.

I sat on the front porch and relaxed enjoying the nice evening for a bit once we were done. It was nice.

No comments: