Saturday, May 22, 2010

Playing catch-up

My week:

 I was so incredibly glad we took Monday off work.  I could not stay awake once I got out of bed.  Neither one of us felt very good and I spent almost the whole day in and out of sleep.  I did finally wake up about 4:00ish and got a bath and the laundry started.  We finally made it over to the Boe’s to get the dogs and we had a really good visit and they invited us to stay for dinner.  Dan made some yummy shake-n-bake pork chops and mashed potatoes.  We were so happy to see Miss Lily and Mr Chewy and they were very happy to us.  I think all the cats were more than happy to see the dogs finally leaving.  We got back home and both dogs crashed.  They had had a fun filled exhausting weekend apparently.  I finished the laundry, changed the sheets, and we crashed too.
On Tuesday I woke up with a nasty headache and Andy was still feeling pretty crappy too.  We both spent the work day playing catch up and putting out fires.  I forgot to put an auto out-of-office reply on my emails and you would have thought that I had been gone a week, not just two days.  I left work with my headache back and decided to not go to water aerobics.  I ate dinner and then went to lay down for a bit, but I ended up sleeping for about 2 hours.  I felt so much better after that.
Wednesday was an interesting day.  Andy felt pretty crumby in the morning and he stayed home from work.  After work, I made yummy egg salad sammiches for dinner with enough for lunch the next day then I decided I needed to give in and mow the lawn.  I had really let it get out hand.  In fact it was long enough that the grass was seeding itself.  So I get the mower out and get going.  After about a lap or so around the outside of the yard, I hear someone saying, “ma’am”.  I look up and there’s this teenager standing there and he said that a woman should not be doing yard work and if he could finish it for me.  I told him I didn’t have any cash but he didn’t mind, he just didn’t want to see me have to do it.  I found this very amusing and wonderfully nice of him.   He asked where my husband was and why he wasn’t doing it.  I laughed and told him that my husband gets hives, a rash, all over him if he mows it.  He thought that was nice of me to do it for him then, but that I still shouldn’t be doing it.  He said his dad told him to never let a woman do yard work, that it was men’s work.  I rolled my eyes and stepped aside. He was a really nice guy and even asked for the weed whacker to finish it off, even going so far as to edge the lawn.  I thanked him, and was impressed with his generosity.  He kept repeating some of his questions and some of the things he said and I thought that was weird until I got talking with him when he was done.  He said he couldn’t work cause he was disabled.  I was surprised by this and I looked him up and down and told him he didn’t look or act disabled.  He then took off his hat and lifted his shirt and started showing me all his scars.  This kid had biffed it doing 35 mph down a hill in the middle of the street on a freaking long board up by the U.  He said he ended up in a coma for four months and now has a plate covering half his skull.  Holy cow!  After hearing all that I was glad he had made such a good recovery and said I hoped he would continue to improve.  Teenagers can be so dumb sometimes.  I’m glad he survived and is such a wonderful guy though.  His name is Russell and I asked if he would be willing to come back and mow the back lawn on Friday for pay, he said he would, but I’m not sure if he’ll remember.
Later that evening I went out to move the sprinkler and I noticed the neighbor outside with a chain saw working on this stump in his front yard.  We don’t know many of our neighbors and I had never met this one, but teasing yelled over the fence when he took a break and asked if he wanted to cut down another one and pointed to our ugly mulberry tree/bush thing in the front yard anyway.  He asked if I was serious and I told him only if he felt like it.  He went back to working on his stump and I set down my sprinkler and went in the house.  A minute or so later someone knocked on the door and it turned out it was the neighbor’s son asking me to move the sprinkler so they could work!  I didn’t think they’d actually come over and do it.  Awesome!  My tree is down!  While they worked I started loading limbs on our borrowed trailer and they put branches and trunk pieces on as it came down.  We talked for a bit and got acquainted.  He’s a really nice guy with only one leg and he has an actual race car sitting in his garage.  I got the tree limbs on the trailer settled a bit better, swept up the driveway, did some weeding and called it a night.  What a great night!
Thursday I had a great day at work, I finally got completely caught up and my boss offered me some new job responsibilities.  Nice!  I got home and went to aerobics all by myself.  I was proud of me for going alone, but it just wasn’t the same without my workout buddy.  It was also really weird cause only about half the people that normally show up were there and there was only one kid getting swimming lessons on the other side when there is normally quite a few.  I vegged the rest of the evening even though I should have got out and mowed the back.  I talked myself out of that one hoping Russell will remember to come back tomorrow to do it.
On Friday I had a meeting about my new job responsibilities and I might have a bit of travel involved in my job in the future.  It’s exciting.  I have to say though, it was really nice when the work day was over.  We went over to Andy’s mom’s after work to pick up his birthday present.  She bought him Julia Child’s books “Mastering the Art of French Cooking,” he’s so excited about reading them and cooking from them.  We then went to Fiddler’s Elbow for dinner and we talked the whole time.  It was a wonderful evening.  I actually hoped Russell forgot about coming over as we didn't make it home and it was pouring rain.
Saturday has been a busy day.  Andy went to work to make up some time and I vegged for a bit.  A little after noon, we went over to Jason and Elizabeth’s.  We then went to the Living Traditions Festival downtown.  It was so much fun.  They had food booths from lots of different cultures and we did our best to sample a little from each booth and it was all really great food.  The only thing I found disappointing was a roasted cob of corn I got from the Tongan booth but that’s only because it was out of season and old.  The momo's from the tibetan booth were really yummy.  We watched some of the dancing and we roamed through the craft booths and watched a demo on how to make lemongrass beef.   Andy and I stopped to talk to a guy carving figures from wood and we found out he likes to use black walnut.  I called my sister and gave him her info because they cut down a huge black walnut tree quite a few years ago, but still have a little.  He’s going to go over and look over what they have left. He may also get some cherry wood from Andy’s parents.  They just cut down a huge one.  We all had a really great time and plan on going again next year.  Right now we are at Andy’s brother’s place, Mikey, for his birthday party. 



No comments: