Tuesday, March 15, 2011

New(Old) Sewing Machine and a Crappy Bed

Friday Andy and I were talking about going to sushi again when I get this email from Kristie asking if we want to go to sushi.  I laughed so hard.  So we all went out to sushi and a movie.  I thought Rango was very funny.  It was a great evening.

We were total bums Saturday and didn't go to another movie like we planned nor did we go dishwasher and chair shopping but I did get several movies watched on Netflix and a ton done on my cross stitch.

Sunday my sister invited us to dinner but only I went because Andy wasn't feeling very well.  Her roast dinner was very yummy.  Now my sister has candida and has to stay away from, well, from far too many things to list and as a result has a very limited diet.  She has gotten creative and has been experimenting with lots and lots of different recipes that are supposed to work for her and not make her sick.  Unfortunately most of them are crap.  Well to go with dinner she made a sugar free, gluten free Irish soda bread made with almond flour and a carrot cake thing for desert.  She told me right off she thought the bread would be crap and she wasn't at all sure about the carrot cake thing.  Well, the carrot cake desert was not that good really, I don't think anyone finished it, but the bread...oh the bread turned out yummy!  I would eat that again and it's such a simple recipe I think I might try making it myself. After dinner we played some boggle and I had briefly forgotten how much I really enjoy playing games with my sister!  We have gotten away from it due to our busy lives, but I sure do miss it and think we should do it more.

While I was there we loaded up my grandma's sewing machine from my dad's and I finally got to bring it home. I'm really excited about it.  It had to come to work with us yesterday, but we unloaded it last night and I went thru all the drawers.  I don't think I'm going to have to get anything for it really.  There are pins, needles, thread, bobbins, buttons, snaps, zippers, replacement needles for the machine, carpet and upholstery needles, you name it.  I even found the manual for it and two service receipts.  The last one shows it was serviced in '93 but I'll have to find out if it has been serviced since then before I use it I think.  I found a pin cushion in there that I think grandma made too.  It's a cute little pillow with a cross stitch camel on it.  I like it.  Oh and I found a small cross stitch hoop and some thread.  I think I'm set other than cleaning it up and making sure everything runs.  It's filthy. 

I'm actually really excited to use it and have three pairs of pants that need mending and three or four that need hemming and I have been reading blogs on how to tailor your own clothes and I think I might get brave and try to take in some of too big shirts.  I also have a box clear full of denim squares that I might actually do something with now. This all depends, of course, on if I'm any good at it and if I can get my mom or sister or mother-in-law or somebody that knows what they are doing over here to help me.   : )

The cat may be a problem tho, she was right in the middle of it while I was going thru the drawers and when I put it all away I must have left the pin cushion out.  A little while later I see the cat batting something around in the hall and having a blast and it turned out to be the cushion.  Darn cat, good thing she doesn't have claws lol.

So we bought a brand new bed about two years ago and have decided we really don't like it.  Funny thing, but we decided it's too soft for us.  Anyway, Andy has been complaining that it feels like he is sleeping in a hammock and I just thought it was how soft the bed is.  Tonight I stripped the bed to wash the sheets and took the mattress protector/pad thing off too and I look over at his side and sure enough, there's a dip in his side of the bed.  There's a sink hole that won't pop back out and when you feel it, it feels like there are no more springs there.  No wonder he has felt like he's sleeping in a hammock!  So I called RC Willey and found it to still be under warranty and they asked a lot of questions but then only told me that a "mattress inspector" would call me in a few days to set up an appointment to come out and have a look at it.  Blah, I hate stuff like that.  Anyway, I'm hoping they'll come out and say, "yup it's broke" and haul it away and let us pick another one hehe.

3 comments:

Denise said...

I had to laugh about the bed thing. I've decided that Dan and I really need a king size bed, and was just looking them up on line today.

Mooster said...

You guys will love having a king bed, we do. But make sure you know what you want as far as firm or soft goes before you get one LOL

Elizabeth said...

There are mattress inspectors. I wonder if they go to a special college for that. I wonder if he will have a hat and a magnifying glass.