Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Back to the Farm

So going without my husband kinda sucked.  I don't like being away and I slept like crap even tho we talked each night and several times each day.  But I got thru it and so did he and we were both very happy to see each other Sunday.

It was a long drive down and we were all very eager to get out of the truck by the time we got there.  We had a very nice evening Friday.  When dad was getting the trailer ready for me to sleep in earlier in the day he had inadvertently trapped a cat in there and the darn thing had pooped on the bed.  When I went out to put my duffel away after we got there I stripped the top blanket and took it in to be washed.  As I was settling down to go to sleep I noticed the bed still smelled of cat.  the dumb cat must have sprayed or something, I couldn't find any evidence that he had peed, but it was late and I was tired and it wasn't totally unbearable so I decided it was too late and I would strip the entire bed in the morning.

Saturday was very busy almost from the get go.  Once we were all up and moving we went to the Cowboy Corral for breakfast (which was very good, my eggs were perfect!) and then back to the house and got to work.  We spent the entire day down in the food storage room in the basement.  I lost count of the trips up and down the stairs and the number of cases of bad bottled food were brought up as well as the number of boxes containing empty canning jars brought up and the number of boxes and bags containing garbage brought up.

On a side note, there is no trash service in my dad's area of town and so trash must be burned.  His ex-wife hated taking the trash out to burn it for whatever reason, and so started stashing it all over the house and this wasn't discovered until she was out.  At least she took the food garbage out, just not the rest.

Back on topic, Down in this room, instead of having shelves around the outside of the room, there is a block of shelves in the middle of the room with the outside of the room being the walk way.  It's a very neat set up and I would love to do the same if I had a big storage room.  Anyway, when we started you could step into the room and up to the closest corner of the shelves with a very skinny walk way to the back of the room and access to the deep freezer to the immediate right and that was it.  When we were done you could walk completely around the shelves and not much was left on the floor at all. By the end of the day we were all filthy and exhausted.

We went to dinner back at the Cowboy Corral as they were doing a shin-dig.  The food wasn't too bad for dinner either other than I got a perfectly cooked, beautiful steak...with no flavor.  It was sad.  The rest of the food was okay and for desert I had a very delicious slice of banana cream pie.  The rest of the evening was spent chatting and watching Becca play.  That girl never stops.  She's not hyper or anything, she just goes and goes.  I've decided to call her Bunny, for the energizer bunny.  She's so adorable tho and she was really cute trying to figure out how to peddle the tractor peddle car which she finally did and peddled for the first time ever!  As I was falling asleep I remembered I forgot to change the bedding, ugh.  Oh well, too late to do anything about it at that point.  I called Andy and then fell into a very uncomfortable sleep.

Nancy made us a wonderful breakfast of ham steak, scrambled eggs, and toast for breakfast and then we all did our best to forget our soreness and gather up our stuff to go.  Nancy had emptied and packed up all the crystal out of my grandma's hutch the day before and so Kenton and I got the hutch out of the house and into the truck.  It was a lot heavier than I thought it would be and we all discovered that it had been put in it's corner and never moved again.  Only the front and one visible side were painted and only the walls around it had been painted and wallpapered.  Crazy.  We were all pretty irritable at this point and spent some of the morning griping at each other.

Once everything was loaded tho, Stacie and I grabbed our cameras and started snapping pictures all over the lot, of the house, the shops, the corrals, the fields and everything.  We split up and headed off in our own directions after shots we thought were important.  We both had to laugh when we traded cameras at lunch and found that we had taking many pictures of the exact same thing at almost the same angle and distance we also found that what one didn't think about the other had captured.  We ate lunch at the Sunny Shopper (the only gas station in town) since they have yummy burgers that you cook yourself in a neat cooker machine and then we went on our way.

It was another long ride that I slept a good portion of.  I woke up when we stopped half way home to pick up some more of the yummy jerky I had bought on the way down but the dumb store was closed.  I was mostly awake the rest of the ride home after that.  We stopped in at our mom's place on the way and stopped to relax and stretch and have a good visit for a bit.  I love visiting my mom.  She bought me this cute little red, yellow, orange, and white striped flower pot for my African Violet plant and I can't wait to get some fresh soil and get it transplanted.

I was very happy to get home and see Andy.  I was excited to show him the big, old pepper grinder I had talked my dad out of.  We have been looking for one forever and just could never find the right one till now.  He loved it.  We labored and got the hutch and boxes of dishes inside and Stacie and Kenton went on home.  I crashed for a bit, then took a super hot, Epsom salts bath (heaven) while Andy went and picked up Del Taco and we watched a movie and went to bed. I was beat and sore.

We're going to have to go down and do this I don't know how many more times before all is said and done. Sigh.

I have tons of pictures to go thru and will post them when I get them sorted.

No comments: