Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Long Day

Andy didn't think I'd do it, but saturday morning I got us up just after 7:00am and we were out the door around 8:00.  We headed to my dad's to pick up a sewing machine and help go thru some stuff.  It didn't rain and it didn't snow and it actually turned into a nice day.  The drive down was nice except for a huge stretch of construction that has everyone squished into two lanes and they have barricades right up to the lines at the sides.  That part was a bit nerve racking for me.  Getting stuck next to the wall with a huge semi on the other side of you is scary.  Something goes wrong and there is literally no where to go and you'd be screwed.  Once past that tho it was a lovely drive.

When we got down there we found out that everyone was at the only place to get food in town, The Cowboy Corral, and so we turned around and headed over.  It was great to finally meet Nancy, she's a hoot!  We all had a little to eat and a good visit and then we headed to the farm.  It was amazing to see the kitchen so clean!  The table was clear and there was nothing under it.  You could even get around to the other side of it!  All the counters were clean and the sink and stove too (very embarrassed to admit that my dad's kitchen is now far cleaner than mine).  The bathroom and bedroom were also clean and tidy, but the rest of the house will take some time.  We hadn't been there long at all when Nancy shooed us into the middle room and pointed to two piles and told us to go thru them.  Stacie and I had the impression that they had already been gone thru and just needed to be sorted.  We found out later they had not.  It was kind of fun at first because going thru anything in that house is a huge no-no and we had permission, but as we got going we both got weirded out by it.  Dad poked his head in the room here and there but stayed out until he found something in the garbage that he thought shouldn't have been tossed.  They were just some old manuals for things he didn't even have anymore, but he got mad all the same.  I happened to be outside, but Stacie got yelled at.  I decided to stay out for a while.  I am an adult but I am still very intimidated by my dad sometimes.  I am still afraid of getting hit.  Still cower when he raises his voice.  I should be beyond it, but I'm not. I don't like that about myself.

Anyway, Nancy got him calmed down and she and Stacie got him to sit down and go thru all the papers and what trash piles had not yet been taken out and burned (there's no trash service down there) and by the end of it, the room and all been gone thru but a few suitcases and drawers and looked tons better than when we started.  There ended up being about five or six bags of DI stuff and there were a few things that ended up in those bags that shouldn't have and Stacie ended up going thru them and finding what dad wanted to keep.  Stacie took several bags of stuff home and I took one.  Kenton mostly stayed out keeping the incinerator going and burning the trash we brought out, but him and Becca played in the play house too.  Andy mostly stayed in the living room or entertained Becca when she was inside. She was such a good little girl all day!

We also went thru his two deep freezers and completely cleaned out the one upstairs and a good portion of the one down.  Kenton helped with both and Andy helped with the one downstairs. We threw some out and each took a big cooler of meat home.  We were out of steaks and roasts so it's nice to get some more of those.  We didn't get much meat for 2009 and none last year and this year may be the last that he even has cows on the property, so we may not ever have home raised meat again.  That makes me sad but it will be good for him to not have to take care of the cows anymore.  They have just gotten too much for him.

At the end of the day Stacie and I and been on our feet pretty much the whole day and everyone else a good portion of the day and we were all sore, dusty and exhausted.  And I didn't get the sewing machine.  It was buried and dad said that we needed to go thru everything on it before I could take it.  I was hoping that had been done before we got there.  I'll have to get it next time.  Before we left tho we went over to the next town and had a nice dinner together. 

The drive home we uneventful until we got to the construction again.  I don't know why, I have never been a nervous passenger, or driver for that matter, maybe it was the exhaustion and stress, but that construction set me on edge and had my heart racing.  There were a few times it felt like Andy was right up on the bumper of the car ahead (but probably wasn't) and that the semis and walls were way too close.  I actually had to shut my eyes a few times. We ended up not getting home until about 10:30pm.  Thank goodness we have awesome friends, Denise came over and let the dog out several times and even stayed a while so she could have some peace and quiet lol. 

Now if I could just get rid of this horrible guilty feeling I have had since we got home I'd be good.  I guess next time we'll have to make dad sit and go thru things with us even if it's too hard for him.  We would have this time if we had known he hadn't gone thru the piles first.

I was so incredibly sore Sunday morning.  I stayed in my jammies and played WoW all day.  I did get the laundry washed, but had Andy carry the baskets and I didn't fold any of it.  I have started leveling my druid again and am just loving the character.  My hunter is getting left behind on the gear front, but that's okay.  We didn't get to play them this weekend, but we created new toons that we are playing with Dan, Denise, and Tony and they have been lots of fun to play too.  I'm glad we are all playing again.

No comments: