Thursday, February 17, 2011

Good News

Sunday I got a bit of a cleaning bug and went thru the little room upstairs that has become our catch-all and is really just full of junk.  I went through the entire room and came up with three bags of trash and four or five boxes to put in recycling.  I left a pile to go thru for DI and a pile of papers that need to be shredded as well but I ran out of energy about then.  I got the budget done and then dug into the tax stuff.  We're actually going to get a return this year which is wonderful.  We can now get a much needed (and far over due) dishwasher and catch up some on Chewy's remaining bill.  I'm going to try and squeeze in some new clothes for us both too.  It's still not the great amount that everyone told us we would get once we got a house but it's much better than the nothing we got last year.

Monday was a draining day.  Sunday night Mitch had four bad seizures in the night.  Andy's mom called late in the night and we both woke up full of worry and anxiety so we called in and headed for the hospital.  Thank goodness he was already there so he didn't have to take another ambulance ride.  He was in and out of consciousness all day and just weak and miserable and hurting from head to toe.  We were there to support mom as much as Mitch, she was just drained.  We were in and out of the room all day and after Mike and Anne got there and visited for a bit we all decided to go to lunch and get Lew out for a while.  It was a nice lunch and about the only bright spot of the day.  So that was how we spent our Valentines.

Tuesday I woke up in a foul mood and was super depressed all day.  I was in a horrible funk and just couldn't shake it.  I was emotional and worried about Mitch really bad.  And then I started worrying about everything under the sun and it just made for a bad day.  Tuesday evening tho we got a call from Lew again and she said Mitch got a new doc and he was going to do a new evaluation on him and decide benefits over risk of continuing.  Finally!

Yesterday was a bit more hopeful and a better day.  I went out to lunch with my sister and some friends to Mimi's Cafe and it was oh so good and great company.  I had really yummy baked salmon.  Its kind of funny, but I did some temp work at my sister's work several years ago and got to know a few people there and then when I started my current job, I got to know April and found out she used to work at my sister's work so we all get together from time to time for lunch.  We need to do it more often tho.  And by the end of the day we got a call that this new doc was going to stop Mitch's chemo!  That's the best news ever!  His cancer wasn't terminal but the chemo was surely going to be.  Mitch has had seizures and has had his heart stop and his airway close up and has had thrush and mouth and digestive tract sores and hasn't been able to eat or drink hardly anything since it started.  He's lost a lot of weight and has been so weak he can hardly do anything for himself, it's about time someone official takes notice.  Don't know if they'll start it up again later, but for now he can recover and get better again.  This has been such a trial for him and the family.  It's so sad and sickening how many people have to go thru this.

Today has been a good day so far other than stabbing myself in the finger this morning making lunch.  I really shouldn't play with knives, especially not super sharp ones.  Oh well, one more scar to add to my left hand LOL.  I cut up a baked chicken breast and made a chicken sammich and grabbed a big carrot to go with it for lunch.  I have been super proud of myself and this diet.  It's been really easy for me this time.  Heavy, greasy foods just don't sit well anymore and sugar gives me bad reflux and heartburn so it's been easy to drop them and it's been easy to eat less for whatever reason.  I have a nice app on my phone that I can keep track of what I've eaten as well as calories, carbs, fat, and protein and how much water I've had for the day.  I put in some goals and it tells me a min and max of what I can have in a day and makes it easy to decide what to eat.  I've lost five pounds now and am already feeling better and haven't even started an exercise routine yet!  I want to start water aerobics again with Denise and start walking me and the dog again once it's warmer.  As an added bonus, I've been diligent enough to inspire my husband and he's going to join me.  Yay!

We had another big storm last night and can I just say that I am tired of the winter storms?  Super cold, 90 mph winds and several inches of icy snow.  Where is spring?  My tulips have started pushing up and everything!  So ready for it to be warmer.  Although that means yard work needs to start again and I'm not too sure I'm ready for that lol.

Andy and I went for sushi for dinner.  It's become a favorite for both of us.  We found a great place with cheap prices and it's on the way home.  Not really a good thing LOL.  But, if you don't get california rolls or rolls with a lot of sauce, sushi is actually really cheap calorie, carb, and fat wise which is great! I'm on a diet and can still eat one of my favorite foods! Yay!

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

I am glad that they are stopping Mitch's chemo. I am glad that you are doing well on your diet and glad you can still eat sushi. I am surprised your tulips are coming up. Mine are not doing anything yet.