Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Survival of the Fittest

Look closely


Do you see it?
Look again


Here he is again


 Here's a better view


We have three swordtails in our tank, and this little one is most assuredly a sword baby.  Swordtails are livebearers, which means they give birth to live young and don't lay eggs.  They are also notorious for eating their own young unless steps are taken by the owner.  We also have many other fish in the tank that would welcome a small snack.  I decided I would just let nature take it's course in this tank.  I found this little guy hanging out in the water lettuce and frogbit at the top of the tank the other day.  One little survivor has beaten the odds and came out smart enough to outsmart the adults.  I've been watching him for a couple days now and he is very watchful and careful about his movements around the tank.  Hope he keeps it up.  For now, his name is Frenchy.  Baby fish are called fry - get it?  French fry?  (I know, I know, lame joke lol)



1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

I laughed at your joke. The baby fish is cute.