Sunday, October 10, 2010

Hellfire Sushi

Yesterday was a good day.  We are both feeling better finally so that's always a plus.  We decided to go down to my mom's early and visit.  We haven't been down for a while and I have been missing my mom.  It was really nice to visit and my sister and her family went down early too so that made it even better.  Becca came in and immediately had to give us both hugs.  She is such a little darling!  It was a really good visit but we couldn't stay as long as I had hoped.  We left about fourish and headed back home.  We tested the gps in Andy's phone on the way down and on mine on the way back.  It's going to be awesome to have gps, they both work great.

When we got home I decided to work on my trunk a bit and between the two of us we got all the old, gross paper out of the inside and off the tray.  There was really old cardboard stuff on the roof and the bottom and we'll have to get a scraper to get all of that out, but then all we have to do is sand and stain the inside and that part is done.  It looks so much better already.

We then headed over to Jason and Elizabeth's so we could all go get sushi together.  We had watched Man versus Food a while back and the guy had visited a local sushi place, Kobe Cho, that has this hellfire challenge (we used our new fancy gps to get there, cause none of us knew where it was).  For the challenge, you have to eat two pieces of their level 6 spicy tuna roll and then two pieces of their 6.5 to even qualify to do the challenge.  If you do that you have to sign a waiver that releases the restaurant from any liability for your actions and to show that this was all your idea before going on.  It's a pretty daunting waiver, it states that in the event of hospitalization that you will not sue and in the event of death your spouse and/or family will not sue as it was your choice to go on!  Crazy!  It mentioned hospitalization several times and death in every paragraph.  We asked about it and our waitress said no one has ever died and only three people had to be taken to the hospital.  They have 10 levels of heat.  Only 53 have succeeded with the level 7 challenge.  Only three have made it to the 8 and we assumed those were the three that went to hospital.

Andy ordered the hellfire challenge.  My husband is crazy.  She brought him out his roll after serving the rest of us.  He ate four pieces of the level 6 roll when he only needed to eat two and asked for the next level.
Three pieces gone and three left of the level 6 roll
He was hardly phased by the level 6.  His eyes watered the tiniest bit and that was it.
This is him after the level 6.  Nothin'.
He then told the waitress he was going on and asked for the next level. The man is crazy, the 6.5 have raw chili powder mix on them!
These are the two pieces of the 6.5
 She brings him out his two pieces and he takes a look them, smiles, and eats one.  Then the other.  He looks at the waitress and says, "Lets do it, I'm going on."  She then left and came back with the waiver form for him sign.  While we were waiting his eyes started to water and he started blowing his nose.
Here's the waiver if you feel like reading it :)
She brought it over and he started looking it over and signed it.  By this time his eyes are red and he is blowing his nose like crazy and he is starting to be in distress.  I told him he wasn't allowed to die on me and then he got up and went to the bathroom.  We all read over the waiver and were being amazed at some of the stuff it says.  I decided to stick just the tip of my finger in a little of the sauce from one of the remaining two pieces of the 6.  I stuck it on my tongue.  This tiny little dot of sauce.  I thought my mouth was going to fry.  I provided some additional entertain as I tried to cool off my mouth and throat from that tiny little bit.  I can't believe he ate four of them and two of the next!  I realize now that I had been worried enough about him that I didn't think to snap a picture of his face after eating the 6.5.

Once he came out he told us he had just experienced some of the worst stomach cramping he had ever had, but as soon as he broke into a sweat he was fine and feeling great!  I'm quite sure that if he hadn't been full (he had also order a dragon roll) that he would have went on.  He went and talked to the chef and found out he should have paced himself and he would have been okay and that the Man versus Food guy had actually taken two hours to complete the challenge (there is no time limit).  I'm glad my husband is okay, but it was sure funny for the guy that scares Asians and Thais with the heat he can handle to finally find a hot that was too hot for him.  He said next time tho that he'll order a level 6 roll just because it was really good.  I tell ya again, crazy!

I have to say tho that that was the best sushi I have ever had.  It was all delicious and fresh and they actually use real crab on the rolls that have it.  Every other place we've been using that crappy imitation stuff.  I sure wish sushi wasn't so expensive, we'd eat it more.  :)

We then went over to Dan's and bought some gelato ice cream that was super yummy and headed over to Jason and Elizabeth's to play games.  The guys played some football game for a bit while us girls talked and then we all played a round of monopoly on the Wii.  I think we need to buy that one, it was fun!

Over all, it was a great day!

Oh and I can guarantee that we'll be back to that sushi place again.  Andy says he will be going into training and trying it again LOL

1 comment:

Unknown said...

WOW! Andy, how did you do that? How did you feel after you got back home, and the next day. Did you have any after affects?

You kids had busy and a fun day on Saturday. It was nice to see you again that afternoon. - Mom