Saturday, September 11, 2010

Being Good is Hard

So Andy and I have been really tight on our funds, I meant flat broke tight, but have made it thru the last two weeks eating at home, remembering our lunch and for the most part, grabbing breakfast.  We cheated here and there on breakfast, but only because we can get a so-so one at work for only a dollar or two each.  Well, we got paid yesterday and it was the check with Andy's raise on it and supposedly a bit of retro pay.  I don't think they put any retro on it at all and his raise isn't as much as I had in my head and all it did was get us out of the deep end.  It's wonderful he got a raise.  I love that he got a raise.  It just doesn't help as much as either of us thought it would.  Too many expenses have gone up and come our way.  We still can't afford to get our brakes done without help (I was really hoping to)  and we still have to be good with our spending.  It's hard being good and it's frustrating watching pennies, but at least we can eat out once or maybe twice a week and catch at least one movie here and there again and at least all the bills are going to continue getting paid.  I really like our house, but I really, really wish we hadn't bought it.  We were quite comfortable until we did and then it got even worse when the housing marking tanked and our taxes and home owners all went up.

I put in to win state fair tix.  I really hope I get them.   We want to go and we are planning to go next weekend, but if I win I won't feel so guilty about it (even though I shouldn't anyway).  We plan to go every year and every year, something comes up or we don't have any money.

It's been one week now without my little friend and I miss him.  I didn't realize how many little noises he made all the time until he was gone.  I also didn't realize just how incredibly quiet Lily is when she doesn't have anything to bark at.  The house has been too quiet and it's weird.  Even when we get Lily riled up she doesn't get too noisy.  Only if she sees something outside or someone comes to the door is she loud, and the cat meows here and there but is silent otherwise as well.  But it has also been nice to only have one dog to worry about and not have to fuss over Chewy so many times a day.  I love him and miss him, but he had become a lot of work the last year or so.  Everyone keeps asking if we are going to get another dog.  First answer is, "no".  It's too soon.  We are still adjusting and grieving.  I don't understand people, even animal lovers, that can go out and get a new dog or puppy right after they lose one.  A co-worker of mine said she had to go get a new puppy the very next day.  No way, no how.  Not even if he had been our only dog.  To be completely honest, I don't know that we'll ever get another one until Lily is gone.  Lily is a great little dog and it's really nice to only have her to worry about.  That may change once this is no longer so raw, but for now, "Nope."

No comments: