Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Happy New Year

2011 ended rather well despite a few hiccups.

The husband and I finally went on a much needed vacation over Thanksgiving, first visiting and eating turkey with my brother and his clan in Nevada, and then heading over to Cali to visit a good friend.  This involved a Harley ride, an excellent meal and lots of full bellies, an evening around a backyard fire pit, a ride on the world's tallest roller coaster (nyah nyah to my sis :), several rides up and down the coast and beach time for the first time ever!  (I don't count the one quick trip several years ago where I got to be on the beach for all of an hour and didn't even get to get my feet wet) It also involved playing with wild hermit crabs, gathering shells, a possible drug dealer next door in a slightly questionable hotel, lots of laughs and good food and great conversation.

There was a mix up and family drama about Christmas plans but it all worked out in the end even tho lots of traditions got broken and left behind.  Change is always hard but it actually ended up being nice, if weird for everyone, and quite a bit less stressful for us in particular.  My hunney and I ended up getting the exact same thing for each other, a Kindle Touch, which was hilarious, but we were both very happy about it.
We said goodbye to the old and rang in the new with a party at my sister's that was great fun as always.  Although we are all getting old, we yelled and screamed in the new year and then shortly thereafter, everyone called it a night LOL

So far 2012 is fine but frustrating.

Changes are still happening at work, but they are happening far too slowly for my taste and I have found myself being too bored, which sucks.  The politicking is still running strong tho and that never ceases to amaze me.  It does however show you loud and clear who people really are.  Good thing my new team is now their own department and hopefully we will no longer be dealing with the politics.

Between Christmas and New Year's I purchased a great 50 gallon (actually about 53) freshwater fish tank for a great price from a friend and it has become a big source of both excitement and frustration.  It came with the tank, stand, hood and light, nets, air pump, and a canister filter which all sounds great until it comes to actually setting it up.  I had to buy a heater, water treatment, a new light (which ended up not fitting), tank sealer (a couple corners were leaky), and media for the filter.  I over spent on just those few things.  It still needs substrate (gravel), tubing, airstones, check valves for the air pump, a floating thermometer, tube clamps, suction cups, some parts for the filter that are missing, a water test kit, some stuff to help cycle the tank before I can put fish in, and, of course, plants.  I'll add fish once it's fully set up and cycled, which is an expense in and of itself.  Oh and then I discovered the strip light is faulty and takes forever to get it to turn on (if at all) and then it shuts itself off after just a few minutes, so that will have to be replaced.  My new project will just have to wait for another paycheck (sigh).  I'm still excited about it, but frustrated at waiting.  Those of you that know me, know I am not good in the patience department.  I'm all about instant satisfaction! lol  Guess I'll just keep reading up on the proper way to setup and keep a fish tank so I can do it right this time.

When we first got it home
Emptied
Cleaned - Vinegar worked awesome!


No comments: