Sunday, January 8, 2012

Got a some cleaning done and the Christmas stuff put away finally.  Wasn't sure about getting the tree out without getting needles all over the house, but then, since we were going to cut it into fire wood anyway, I got an idea.  I grabbed a box and my cutters and just cut all the branches off where it was.  All Andy had to do was toss the trunk out back and Tony was nice and took the box of branches to the shed and I only had one place to vacuum up.  Worked great!

Tony bought two 10 gallon fish tanks to take back to Cali with him, but then was given a 30 and didn't have room for both 10's in his car so he gave us one of the 10's so now we have two tanks.  We've been cleaning the 10's this morning so they will be ready to use when needed.  Later we'll fill the 55 to see if it will hold water.  I had to reseal it so it has to be tested.  I was able to order some substrate for it, but I'll have to wait still to get it up and running.  I've got my old kindle up for sale and once it's gone I'll be able to buy a few more things for it and then maybe I can at least get it cycling.

This is what I mean by cycling  http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/125/1/The-almost-Complete-Guide-and-FAQ-to-Fishless-Cycling/Page1.html Doing a fishless cycle is a new concept to me but after reading this, I don't think I could ever do it any other way again.  Setting up a tank isn't as easy as just going and grabbing some gravel, filling it up, letting it run til it's clear and then tossing in some fish like I've always done, which is why I have to wait.

No comments: