Monday, April 16, 2012

Symphony

A few months ago, um well, maybe last summer, we were talking with Jason and Elizabeth and we all decided we should go to the symphony together.  I have never been, but have always enjoyed classical music.  Andy has too. 

A few weeks ago the boys got together and made dinner plans and didn't tell us girls what they were, Andy wanted it to be a surprise.  I guess Jason told Elizabeth tho and they went there last week to try it out as they had never been, so Andy fessed up and told me a few days before.  We had reservations at Naked Fish.  We had only been there twice before, but they have the best, most delicious food I have ever had.  They have a sushi bar and a full kitchen.  I was very excited to hear that's where we were going. 

About a week ago, I started stressing about what to wear.  I don't usually do fancy and don't have anything I felt would be appropriate to wear.  My friend Kristie and I were going to go shopping to find something for me, but then I ran out of budget.  Wednesday, I was so worried about it, Andy called in his mom.  I was a bit worried about this as well as she and I don't always see eye to eye on fashion, but I knew she knows fashion better than me.  So Thursday night, I headed over to her place.

It actually ended up being really fun and she and I had a great time.  She had several dresses for me to go thru to borrow one.  She ended up giving one of them to me as it didn't fit her very well and I really liked it.  She's so much shorter than me I was worried, but a lot of what she had me try on, fit nicely.  The one I ultimately ended up borrowing, I wish I could also keep.  I love it.  Andy really liked it too, it showed off my boobs I guess lol.  It was also very comfortable to wear.  She also let me borrow some jewelry, but threatened me with my life if I lost them.  She got them in Ireland.  We went to Shopko after our little dress up party, so I could get new shoes as well, and then stopped for frozen yogurt after.

When Saturday came, I was all set and ready to go.  I even got butterflies from excitement.  We had such a good time.  Dinner was delicious and we had such great company as well.  Andy and I had sushi of course and Jason and Elizabeth had some items from the kitchen as well as a bit of sushi.  It was all delicious.

When we were done eating, we walked thru City Creek over to Abravanel Hall.  I'd never been inside.  They have this really big, really cool glass art piece in the lobby.  We took pictures in front of it, but they are on Andy's phone and he won't give them up.  I couldn't take mine because I had no pockets and no purse that I could get away with using with the dress I was in.  Unless I can sneak his phone, no one will see them.  He's so silly sometimes.

I loved the symphony!  Seeing music played live is just awesome in every sense of the word.  It's so different than just listening to it.  You get to feel it.  I have loved classical music since the first time I ever watched Looney Toons, and fell in love with it again in high school.  My Architectural Drafting teacher would play classical music whenever we all needed to concentrate on a project or take a test.  I loved it.  As an adult, I'll listen to it from time to time when I need to find my center, usually to make it thru a bad day.  Anyway, they did a Mozart piece first and then Beethoven's Eroica.  The pianist that played for the Mozart piece fit the part perfectly.  He had the longer, wild, white hair that I always think of when picturing a serious piano player and he was very animated.  The conductor was also very animated and it made everything all the more enjoyable. 

One thing I found interesting, and kind of funny, were the pauses between pieces.  The whole place was really very quiet and still while the music was being played, but as soon as there was a pause, everyone in the whole place started shifting and clearing their throats.  All at once.  The acoustics in that place are amazing, and every little thing could be heard and not just from the stage.  It made me giggle.

Overall it was a wonderful experience and now I know what everyone means about going to the symphony.  Its so worth it.

No comments: