Friday, July 2, 2010

Staycation

Six years ago my best friend and I said, "I do".  I spent the morning running around in my veil and jeans after getting my hair done and Andy spent the morning panicking and searching for what he thought were lost rings (I had them all along).  We had a wonderful ceremony with tons of family and friends.  We shoved cake in each others faces getting it everywhere, and only managed to each get one bite of our beautiful cake.  We opened gifts (which we wished we had saved for later after we got out of there, we were both very eager to be on our way for, well, obvious reasons hehe) and headed out for fun filled Vegas.

For our anniversaries, some years we have been able to only get away for a night, others a bit longer.  Last year we went on a random 1000 mile round about trip, just going where we felt like it, not really planning anything out, and it was an absolute blast. This year, we took two days for our anniversary and realized too late that if we had planned better we could have had five days off, but that's okay going back for one day before a three day weekend wasn't all bad.  We couldn't afford to go anywhere fancy and decided to just stay home and enjoy ourselves.  Wednesday morning we went to one of our favorite dives, Jim's Diner (not to be confused with Jim's family Restaurant) for breakfast.  It's a little hole-in-the-wall place across from Jordan Commons in Sandy run by a cute Greek couple with really good food.  If you've never been, I do recommend going, they have awesome Souvlaki, but they serve American too.  We then headed over to Jordan Landing and saw Eclipse.  The wolves were awesome, the fight scenes very cool, but the acting still sucked.  We went home for a while after that.  For dinner, we headed back to Midvale for one of our favorite Thai places, Mekong Cafe, they have wonderful thai basil pork and thai iced tea, but to our surprise, they were closed, for a week!  What restaurant closes for a week for vacation?!  How can they afford that?  In our frustration we went next door to B&D burgers and ended up with mediocre food.  They aren't near as good as they used to be.  We decided on going to another movie and went over to Cinemark 16 in Fort Union and saw Prince of Persia.  We have both played the game and really enjoyed it, so we were looking forward to the movie.  It was actually pretty good, but I don't know if it would be for anyone who hasn't played the game.

The next day for lunch, we decided to go somewhere we've never been and headed back to Sandy once again (boy we should have never left there LOL).  We went to an Indian restaurant called, Ganesh that was recommended to us.  Their lunch buffet was delicious!  If you like eastern Indian food, go there.  I'll go again.  We then went to yet another movie and this time saw Toy Story 3.  Wow, just as good as the other two, loved it! and then later went to Sweet Tomatoes for dinner.  Again, we were disappointed.  They have raised their prices and nothing was quite as fresh as I remember.  I think I'll stick to Soup or Salad from now on.  Over all, it was a wonderful two days.

Now prepare yourselves for some sappiness.

Over the past six years we have learned from each other and grown from the experience.  It has been fun, crazy, hectic, wonderful, and sometimes difficult, but we wouldn't trade any of it.  It's been a great six years.  I love you Andrew Poen, forever and always.  Thank you for putting up with my silly dances and random thoughts.  My constantly forgetting names and forgetting lyrics but trying to sing it anyway, even if I am always off key.  Thank you for putting up with my moodiness and my craziness and always being there for me.  Thank you for laughing with me, even though you don't always get my weird sense of humor.  Thank you for being you and letting me be me.  Thank you for teaching me about food, expanding my pallet, and encouraging me to try new things.  Thank you for putting up with me constantly accidentally shooting you or a gas tank near you in Left 4 Dead 2, and my constant wandering around and getting side tracked in World of Warcraft.  Thank you for making me laugh. Happy anniversary Hun, I have decided to renew my subscription for one more year even if it is full of political discussions and in depth phone and electronic reviews.  The food critic section and movie reviews are wonderful though hehe, I love you.

No comments: