Thursday, August 11, 2011

Gotta Make Changes

My boss has told me, and I have read, that fibro people have an issue with gluten.  She has gone gluten free for good.   My sister has an issue with gluten also and my mom has a wheat allergy.  So I guess it was bound to happen.

By the end of the day last Sunday I started to have a bellyache and my guts were none too happy.  Monday morning I was miserable.  I got up and tried to get ready for work and realized I needed to stay home (much better access to the bathroom).  I did manage to work for part of the day tho at home.  By the end of day I was hurting all over.  Tuesday I hurt worse than I have in a long while but managed to make it thru the work day.  Tuesday night I was wracking my brain as to what could have caused all this.  I felt fine other than gut issues and body pain.  Then I remembered Andy saying something about the bagels we had Sunday morning giving him gas.  Then I thought about all the bread and pasta I had Sunday.  Way more than I normally would have in any given day and way more than I should have had. So Wednesday I decided to take my boss' suggestion seriously and go gluten free for a week.  If after a week I try a flour product and I am miserable, I know for sure that's what did it.  My sister had a good thought tho, the augmentin antibiotic I had six weeks or so ago really screwed me up and it is a fact that my digestion has not been great since then, and that could be causing this too.  I have never had an antibiotic cause more problems than it solved before and I think I will suffer before going on that one again.

Day one wasn't too bad.  Fruit and cottage cheese for breakfast (yum!), salad for lunch (had to give away the roll that came with it and then remove all the cheese when I realized pre-shredded cheese is coated in flour), and chips, salsa and baked potato for dinner.  I struggled late in the evening when I went into the kitchen for a snack and realized I couldn't have toast.  That sucked.  I had no boiled eggs either and so resorted to a carrot.  I shared that with the dog (she loves carrots) and then decided I needed something else and so scrambled a single egg.  It was yummy.

Today started the same as yesterday, but I struggled at lunch when the snack shack had chicken noodle soup.  Ended up with another salad, same story as yesterday.  For dinner we stopped and grabbed a couple of sushi rolls and a pile of fried rice for dinner.  At least I can still have that.  Now I have a sweet tooth and realized I can't have a Schwan's ice cream sandwich that we have in the freezer cause of the cookie.  :(

Stacie and Kris, how do you do this everyday?

Funny side note, I couldn't finish my rice and there wasn't a lot left and decided to give the rest to the dog and just placed my plate on the floor and told her it was okay to eat (we've trained her well and she wouldn't have touched it otherwise).  She looked at the plate and looked at me like, "Well okay, if I must."  and then very gingerly started to eat.  I thought that was a strange reaction until it occurred to me that I don't think I have ever given her scraps on a plate.  I usually dump them in her food bowl if she gets any at all, which isn't often.  She knows better, no wonder she gave me a weird look LOL

The cat then realized there were tidbits to be had and came over to investigate.  Lily was funny in that she very gently and very quietly growled at her just a bit, but then looked at her and thought about it and then backed away.  Then Baggs would take a bite or two and back off and then Lilly would take a bite or two and back off.  Aw, they are learning to share LOL

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It sucks doesn't it?! I have been doing it for a year and a half and most of the time I am good but once in awhile I just want a scone, or cinnamon toast or a PB&J! Now you see why I live off my homemade granola and boiled eggs? We do it because we feel better and eating that stuff makes us sick so it isn't worth it. I could never do it if it didn't make me sick. Good luck and I hope it is not a permanent thing for you. Love ya.